11.19.2012

GRATITUDE

"He is a wise man who does not grieve for the things which he has not, but rejoices for those which he has." -Epictetus


Since this week is thanksgiving I just wanted to write about the things that i am grateful for. This year has been a year of change and new beginnings, discovery and choices and one in which throughout everything I have been grateful. 

First of all I am grateful for my life, what it has held and what it will hold. I am grateful for the time in which i have been born and the family and place that i was born into. I can not say my life was perfect, but for some reason I was blessed to be born into an incredible family where I have everything I have ever wanted. I'm grateful I was born free and born a woman. I'm grateful I have siblings and they are my best friends and advocates. I'm grateful to have a mother that is nurturing and loving and a father that works hard and teaches well. 

I'm grateful for new beginnings, for choice and for agency. I'm grateful for a God that loves me despite my imperfection and weakness and for friends and family who do the same. I'm grateful for the man and the little one and for the joy that i have with them as my family. I'm grateful for books and technology and that information and knowledge can be attained so easily. 

I'm grateful for the beauty of the world, for color and for senses, for emotion and for reason. I'm grateful for everything I have and for the things that I have not yet attained that motivate me to be better. I'm grateful for  good food, fresh produce, and that all of that is easily attainable. I'm grateful for fresh water, refrigeration, and a clean, safe home. 

I'm full of gratitude this year and most, for in comparison to so many others throughout the world, my life is perfect. Is it perfect? No, but it sure is wonderful. I remember times in my life that I thought if only I had this, or if only I had that, or if only this or that or the list went on...then my life would be complete, then i would be happy. And I have to say some of that had a little truth, there were some things that i did not have, but many of the other things that were desired didn't make a difference. I have come to realize that for me it is the people in our lives that make the biggest difference, understanding, forgiveness, service and love are central to good healthy relationships. For me I am most grateful for the people in my life and for the simple blessings God gives me each day.

I hope you all have a wonderful thanksgiving. Please share with me what you are most grateful for.


2 comments: