10.08.2013

TACO CUPS (SNAP DRAGONS)

 

I know, I know, I know, I am on a total taco kick! They just sound so good. I am sure you will begin to notice, if you haven't already, that i go through phases. I like one thing for a while and then move on to some thing else. I do this a lot with food. Sometimes I could eat the same meal three times a day for weeks. (No, I haven't been eating tacos for every meal, but for quite a few!) Anyway I have had Wonton Wrappers in my fridge for quite sometime and I have been meaning to make something like this out of them, so today was the lucky day! All I have to say is "WHY HAVE I WAITED SO LONG TO USE THESE?" If you haven't baked Wonton Wrappers and made something with them, write it on your bucket list right now and make them in the next week! They are easy, fun to eat, and have this incredible crunch factor that is indescribable.

The other great thing about them is that they are versatile. You could fill these little cups with anything you want. We filled them with "taco stuff", but i guarantee there will be more of these in the next little while filled with all sorts of delicious things!

This is what we did.

1. Brush both sides of the Wrapper lightly with oil (we used olive, but you can use canola or any other type).

2. Place in non-stick muffin pan.

3. Bake in 375 degree oven on middle rack for 6 minutes. (i put mine on 370 just because it runs hot and i didn't want to burn them.) Watch them as the time gets close, they cook VERY quickly.


 4. Let cool in pan for 5-10 minutes before removing.


5. In the meantime prepare your filling. I used ground beef that i cooked with 1 cup chopped onion and 1 cup chopped red pepper and seasoning. 

6. I also always tilt my ground beef after it has cooked to let the grease move to one side of the pan.


7. Grate some cheese, chop some spinach, lettuce, or cabbage and get out anything else you want in your little cups. 

8. Fill your cups and enjoy! I put sour cream in first, then meat, cheese, spinach and a little hot sauce on top.


ENJOY!

What would you fill yours with?

Note: these are more of an appetizer than a full meal. [the man] and i discussed after dinner that they would be really good with a really nice salad or soup even. We ate them as a full meal and between the two of us we ate 18, so yes, you can eat them as a meal, but it would have been better with salad.

SNAP DRAGONS

(i asked the man what i should call these and he said "snap dragons". there was no explanation and no further discussion about the topic, I just said okay, so here is the recipe for Snap Dragons or more widely know, Taco Cups.

INGREDIENTS

1 lb Ground Beef
24 Wonton Wrappers
1 cup Chopped Onion
1 cup Chopped Red Bell Pepper
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp Onion Powder
1/2 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Salt
2 tsp Chili Powder
Grated Cheese
Sour Cream
Hot Sauce
Chopped Spinach
Olive Oil

INSTRUCTIONS

Preheat Oven to 375 degrees.

Brush both sides of Wonton Wrappers with oil and place in non-stick muffin pan.

Bake for 6 minutes or until lightly brown.

Allow to cool in pan 5-10 minutes before removing.

Saute Chopped onion over medium heat until it begins to brown, add Red Pepper and Garlic and cook for about 5 more minutes, add Ground Beef and Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Cumin, Salt, and Chili Powder and cook until Brown.

Tilt Pan to remove some grease.

Grate Cheese, Chop Spinach (and anything else you want inside).

Fill Cups as desired and eat right away.

ENJOY!

(With 24 cups there was a little extra meat, but not much).

3 comments: