11.13.2012

CHANGE A BICYCLE TUBE

First of all sorry that this post was posted so late in the day, I am still trying to figure out how to get stuff done with a baby in the mix, so that is my excuse today. Before I tell you "how to" do something very useful if you own any bikes I have to tell you a funny story that happened today. 

I had to go and run some errands, one of which was to get some documents printed, filled out and then scanned and emailed. Well I got them printed, I took them to "the man", he checked them and showed me how to fill them out, then I went back to the store, carried "the little one" in her car seat, set her next to me and began filling them out. Once I finished I realized I had forgotten the flash drive in the car, so I grabbed the car seat and put her in a cart so my weak arms could handle it, pushed her out to the car and realized I didn't have the keys! I searched my pockets, no keys, looked into the darkened windows...no keys, the doors were locked, checked the car seat...no keys, so i pushed her back across the parking lot, into the store again and there they were, sitting on the counter where i just was. So then we had to go back out to the car AGAIN, to get the flash drive, back into the store, got the documents scanned and back across the parking lot to go home. Someone please tell me that one day my mind will come back and that you do get used to all of the extra things you have to carry to do a simple errand! Welcome to Motherhood I guess! 

Anyway back to "how to" Tuesday. Each Tuesday I will post something, anything really that I feel is useful to know "how to" do. Today because I love bikes so much and i really wish i was healed enough to sit on that seat and go for a ride, we are going to learn "how to" CHANGE A BIKE TUBE.

I am constantly amazed as a bike mechanic how many people do not know how to do this or that would prefer to pay someone to do it for them. I don't know about you, but one of my least favorite things to do is to pay someone for something that i am totally capable of doing myself and I tell you what most people are more than capable enough to change a tube and I'll tell you another thing, if you have multiple children you will save a lot of money if you learn to do this yourself. Even if you just have one or it is just you. 

Most shops charge between $8-$10 per wheel to change the tube. That is just for labor. Tubes start at about $6.00, so if you go through a lot of tubes you can save a lot by switching it out yourself. With a little practice you can change a tube in less than 5 minutes. Lets get started!

 1. PLACE YOUR BIKE IN A STABLE POSITION

You can put it in a rack if you have one or just turn it upside down.

 2. GET OUT THE TOOLS YOU NEED

If you have quick release levers this may be as simple as a new tube, ( if you don't plan on patching the defctive one right away) tire levers, (you can get these at any bike shop. do not use a knife, screw driver, or anything else that could potentially mar the rim or pop the new tube) and a pump or compressor of some kind.

 3. RELEASE YOUR BRAKE TENSION

There are a lot of different types of brakes, on most kid bikes you don't need to worry about this, disc brakes don't need this step either. On most road bikes flip this little lever up (down if your bike is upside down like mine). If you do not know how to do this on your bike simply get all the remaining air out of the tube and it should clear the brake pads.

 4. REMOVE WHEEL

This is simple with a quick release, just lift up and untighten a few turns while holding the other side, if you have bolt on wheels (most kid bikes do) use the prope size wrench and unscrew both sides until wheel can be removed. (most kid bikes use a 15mm wrench)


 5. REMOVE REMAINING AIR (if you haven't already done so)

 6. REMOVE ONE SIDE OF TIRE FROM WHEEL

Sometimes you can do this with your fingers, while other tires are seated very tight and you have to use a tire lever. Simply slide it under one side and pry it out.


Then push the lever around the entire wheel to separate the entire one side of the tire from the wheel.

It should look like the above picture. One side is still inside and the other is out.
 7. REMOVE TUBE FROM TIRE

Just pull the old tube out. If you want to find the hole or holes and patch it, now is the time to do that, if you are just going to replace it, just move on to the next step.
 8. PUT A LITTLE BIT OF AIR IN THE TUBE

Just put a little bit of air into the tube so that it has some shape. This helps the tube not to twist.

 9. INSERT VALVE INTO HOLE


Slide tube inside of tire careful not to twist it.

 10. PUT TIRE BACK ON and INFLATE

Once the tube is all the way in, place the lever (the opposite way) inbetween the rim and tire and slide along the whole rim pressing the tire back into place. After it is in place, inflate tube to the proper PSI (pounds per square inch). This information can be found on the side of the tire. Inflate making sure the valve stays perpendicular to the rim. (if it is crooked deflate and position properly and re-inflate) A crooked valve can crack and ruin the tube.
 11. REINSTALL WHEEL

If you have a quick release make sure the lever goes on the non drive side (the side without the gears, normally the left side) and that you push the handle all the way closed. If you have a bolt on wheel reassemble it just like you removed it, making sure it is centered and all the way up in the fork.

 12. RE-TIGHTEN YOUR BRAKES

If you loosened your brakes to get your wheel off, re-tighten them so that they engage properly.

13. GO FOR A RIDE!

That should be all it takes to get your bike back in working order, now it is time to enjoy the fruits of your labor and go for a ride! Enjoy the road and HAVE FUN!


I couldn't resist, she was my little helper today taking pictures and changing the tube for the demonstration! I love you "little one!"

No comments:

Post a Comment